czwartek, 1 kwietnia 2021

"This time I don’t have to try to fit in a certain type of sound or direction. It’s just music that comes out of me naturally." - interview with Serge Streltsov, a man behind Selfgod.

 

1. Hi there Serge! First of all, how are you doing during this hard times? Is Covid that much a pain in the ass or you manage to deal with things easily?

It was definitely hard to deal with last year but now I’m kinda used to the situation. I still do everything I usually do except for playing live but I’m not even in the position regardless of the restrictions. Definitely miss going to concerts. It’s hard to find things to do outside of that.

2. What do you think about the current situation of the metal scene, both underground and more commercial one, not only in present Covid rality? Are you in favour of more physical releases or digital form? What you prefer yourself.

I haven’t been up to date with what’s going on in the scene to be honest. I just listen to the old bands I grew up on. Haven’t really discovered anything new. I have seen bands doing live streams and such but that’s not really my cup of tea. But I get it, musicians must find ways to make money. I prefer physical releases. I still buy vinyls and cds all the time. I love going to the record stores to check out albums. Also order stuff online.

3. I must ask about the Automb. There was a really nice response for this band and its records, I have seen very positive reviews, it was simply a very good music. What happened that the band split-up?

Thank you! Me and Danielle were dating and broke up. We agreed on the fact that Automb is about both of us and it would make most sense to disband the project.

4. You have started a new solo project – Selfgod. What can we expect from it? As far as I know you are a fan of Pagan Metal as well as the bands like Dissection, Belphegor or Behemoth. Generally Death and Black Metal. Will Selfgod be a continuation of the path taken with Automb or will turn into different direction?

Selfgod will feature material I wrote both for Necrophagia and Automb. So it’ll be a mix of both bands. It’ll definitely be a blackened death metal project with more death metal undertones and it’ll be more riff oriented. I think it’ll satisfy the fans of both sub genres. It’ll truly showcase what I am as a song writer. This time I don’t have to try to fit in a certain type of sound or direction. It’s just music that comes out of me naturally.

5. Will you consider Selfgod as a full band or just as a solo project without plans for regular releases?

I definitely want to take it on the road when the time comes. I will definitely put together a full band and will hire live musicians like I did in Automb. But for now I will just focus on studio stuff.

6. Do you already have a label that will pick up your project? What about Witching Hour? The way they issued Automb’s “Chaosophy” was splendid.

I had a few offers but nothing stuck out to me so far. I definitely would like to shop around and see what else I can get. Witching Hour is one of the options. They did a great job pressing the physical copies of the last Automb album. 


7. You played with Necrophagia. Could you share some memories with us when it comes to this band? How do you recall being a member of this act? Did it have any kind of impact on your music taste, composing and so on?


I have lots of great memories with that band. The best memory is definitely the first European tour supporting I am Morbid. That was my first tour ever and it was on a tour bus. It was definitely a full rockstar experience. I remember having a lot of pressure trying to fill those shoes but once I got comfortable it felt like I was in the band for decades. It definitely restructured my song writing abilities. It changed how I viewed a lot of things. Definitely opened my ears more to everything. It was a huge learning experience. I still write in that mind set sometimes and have remained with that guitar tuning for years after. Music taste wise it just pushed me back to the older bands that I grew up with. Made me realize how good those early rock and heavy metal records are. It’s not always about blast beats and growls.

8. Returning to the subject of labels, you seem to choose these from Europe. Is it a coincidence or you just prefer the stuff that European labels create and issue?

It was the labels that had the most interest. Me being European almost seems like it magnetized those opportunities.

9. As far as I know, please correct me if I’m wrong, you come from Ukraine. What is your opinion about the scene from there, past and present. Do you consider to relate in any way to the music created by the most famous extreme groups of Ukraine in Selfgod? Like Nokturnal Mortum, Khors or Drudkh?

Yes I am from Ukraine. I do enjoy the Ukrainian black metal scene a lot and it has inspired me over the years. These are all great bands but I don’t think I sound anything like them musically. I do relate to the Slavic pagan themes that they used on certain records. Im definitely not a fan of all their work. Just certain albums.

10. You are also a member of Haxxan. To my surprise I once reviewed Haxxan’s debut album and it was very good. Do you still play with this band and are there any plans for the next Haxxan album?

That’s cool to hear that you reviewed that record. Haxxan just like Necrophagia are done because Killjoy has passed away and both of these bands featured the same line up.

11. Your session drummer in Automb was Scott Fuller from Morbid Angel. How have you guys met? Do you consider to get in touch with him in case of Selfgod? Or you are planning to record everything on your own?

Me and Scott met at a Morbid Angel show years ago and have remained friends ever since. I have been in contact with him and yes he will be on the Selfgod debut album.

12. Are there any dates when we can expect the new recording from you? I mean singles, full album?

No dates yet. I still have to finish writing the album. I’m about 90% done with that and I also have to record it. So I’m not exactly sure when I’ll be able to release it. Hopefully at the end of this year. There’s no record deal yet. So it all depends on the label I go with and their schedule. But I will post some teasers.

13. If there will be any plans for future gigs of Selfgod would you consider visiting Europe and Poland? Have ever visited our country before?

Yes. Europe has always been in mind. I would love to do a European tour whenever that will be possible and of course Poland would be great too. Yes I played in Bielsko-Biala in 2017 with Necrophagia. It was one of the best shows of that tour. Would love to play there again.

14. That will be the end. Thank you for your time and an opportunity to talk and introduce your new band to my readers. Last words belong to you!

Thank you for this interview! All the best! Stay Metal!


Interview by Przemysław Bukowski

Brak komentarzy:

Prześlij komentarz